Friday, December 6, 2013

Oncologist Appointment

 
Thursday, December 6, 2013

Today was my appointment with the Medical Oncologist. My surgeon sent me to Dr. Thuy Le at Presby Plano.  My appointment was at 11:30 and I left about 1:15. I really liked Dr. Le and she spent plenty of time explaining everything to me and Chuck. As I previously mentioned, the tumor was actually 2 tumors which measured a total of 15mm, which automatically bumped me up to the next Stage. So I was originally diagnosed as Stage 1, Class 2, now I am Stage 2A, Class 2. One of the questions that was up in the air was if the surgeon should take more lymph nodes. Dr. Le explained to us that because the cancer has already spread to the lymph nodes and that I am having to have chemo then I would just be put at a greater risk of developing lymphedema. if I had more lymph nodes removed.  You can read about lymphedema here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LymphedemaJust having one sentinel node removed from my right arm, I will have to be monitored for lymphedema every 3 months. So right now the plan is to get my port next week (not sure what day). This will be day surgery - hello to being put to sleep for the 4th time this year! After they receive the test results from the MammaPrint then chemo will start. The results from the MammaPrint will determine if I am at a low, medium or high risk of the cancer returning in another part of my body. You can read about the MammaPrint
here  http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/types/mammaprint. Dr. Le said that breast cancer usually returns to the lungs, liver or colon. She thinks that my test will come back as a medium risk of the cancer returning. So, that will mean that I will have 4 chemo treatments. If it comes back that I am high risk then I will have 8 chemo treatments. The chemo will be every 3 weeks for either 4 times or 8 times and will probably start the week of Christmas or the last week of the year. They also took some baseline blood work and are scheduling a P.E.T. scan (if insurance will approve) or a bone scan (if insurance doesn't approve the P.E.T. scan).
 I just want to say thank you to all of my family and friends for your prayers and support - I couldn't do this without you and our great God above!
In my "Jesus Today" by Sarah Young devotional today it talks about using our trials and troubles to draw closer to God. Let pain and problems remind us of our constant need for Jesus. A simple prayer that we can pray is "Help me, Jesus. Fill me with your Peace. Show me Your way. These requests are spiritual nutrients - soul vitamins (I love this - soul vitamins. We take our vitamins and medicines every day....why can't we pray everyday or find time for Jesus everyday - I am guilty of not finding time for Him everyday!) The more you use them, the healthier and happier you will be!  I challenge you to join me in making time for Jesus everyday!

 I wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him. Psalm 62:5
Gloria

 

4 comments:

  1. Gloria, my name is Mike Brookshire and I attend Chase Oaks Church in Plano. My wife, Susan, is a Stage 3 lymphoma survivor! I've seen first hand how God heals those in these circumstances, and there's not a day that passes that I don't thank Him for this. I prayed today that he will heal you! We are taught to pray hopefully...confidently. I absolutely believe He will see you through this. Call us if we can ever be of encouragement (c: 469/964-3069). Love to you, Mike & Susan Brookshire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you tonight Gloria. Praying for peace and healing. Hope you enjoy Christmas even through this hard time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly! I am so thankful for your prayers for peace and healing!

      Delete
  3. Thank you Mike and Susan. I appreciate your prayers and know that only God can truly heal me and that the more people I have praying for me, that it will bring me peace throughout my journey!

    ReplyDelete